[Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

2001-07-17 13:10:03
Can anyone point me to an early reference describing the Internet
protocol layers in IP terms, rather than OSI terms?

One recent text used the following terms.  However, I don't know whether
this description has a long history, or is simply revisionist history.

        Application
        Transport (TCP, UDP)
        Internet (IP, etc.)
        Network Interface (LAN and WAN technologies).

By 1983 the Internet protocols were already being recast in OSI terms.
Vint Cerf, in "The DoD Internet Architecture Model", described the
following layers:

        Application
        Utility
        Transport
        Internetwork
        Network
        Link
        Physical

In May 1979, Jon Postel in IEN-94 ("Internet Protocol Handbook"; it was
small then - 1209 bytes) use the following layers:

                       Internet Protocol Handbook
                           Table of Contents

Gateway Level
   Internet Datagram Protocol                                     IEN-80
   Gateway Routing: An Implementation Specification               IEN-30

Host Level
   User Datagram Protocol                                         IEN-88
   Transmission Control Protocol                                  IEN-81
   Multiplexing Protocol                                          IEN-90

Application Level
   Name Server Protocol                                           IEN-89
   Internet Message Protocol                                      IEN-85

Appendices
   Protocol Options                                               IEN-92
   Address Mappings                                               IEN-91
   Assigned Numbers                                               IEN-93

Does anyone have a pointer to an early, more "traditional", non-OSI
description of the TCP/IP protocol layers?

(By the way, I found the concept behind RFC 157, "Invitation to the Second
Symposium on Problems in the Optimization of Data Communications Systems",
rather interesting.  I must admit that I hadn't thought of submitting
spam as an RFC.)

Thanks,
        -tjs