Re: [Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

2001-07-17 16:30:03
RFC-2001-06-24-000 - 2001 A Space Odyssey
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12458.html

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc25.txt
"Because it may be desirable to reserve one or more link numbers for
instrumentation purposes, and because 256 link numbers are many more
than are needed, we suggest that no link number over 63 be used.  At
UCLA, we will implement our tables to take advantage of this limitation.
We also note that 32 may be even more realistic, but 64 is certainly
sufficient."
-------------

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12524.html
RFC-2001-06-27-001 - Obtaining IPv8 Address Allocations

The "toy" IPv4 Internet is a sewer.
IPv8 is designed to be a swamp to cover the sewer.
IPv16 is the "high-ground"....

...here are some links...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com