Re: [Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

2001-07-18 07:30:03
At 05:19 PM 7/17/2001 -0400, Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:
I think TCP and IP were all one layer at one point. It's possible
the old IEN's, (which I'd heard would be on-line "soon" if
they're not already), would have
a spec for the combined TCP/IP, and it would probably use the terminology in
use at the time.

we started with only TCP - that was in the 1974 article. by 1978 we split
into two layers so that we could service requirements for low delay but
not necessarily high reliability (e.g. voice). Danny Cohen, Dave Clark and
Jon Postel all had a hand in arguing for the split -

One of the things I've been meaning to chase down is ... why did anyone
think "Transport" was a good name for layer 4? What does the word "transport"
mean that has anything to do with what layer 4 does?

possibly "door to door" service??

Radia