Re: Re: [Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

2001-07-17 23:30:02
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 mstjohns(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com wrote:

Vint spoke on this very topic as the dinner speaker for the TCP/IP
Interoperability Forum in Monterey (the pre-Interop interop
conference).  As I recall from his comments, the decision to split
the two came about as a mutual epiphany between him and Dave Clark
as they were trying to figure out some way around some of the
stupidity in NCP.

I believe Danny Cohen was one of the primary instigators for the
split, motivated by the desire to support packet transmission of
voice.  I recall a presentation Danny made in which he talked about
TCP's reliability function R which was not appropriate for
delay-sensitive voice communication.  He suggested that we could apply
another layer to implement an R^-1 function, but that it might be more
efficient to split TCP so that a different (transport) protocol could
be implemented without the reliability function.
                                                        -- Steve