networksorcery.com spam

2001-07-19 18:10:03
I think that networksorcery.com is sending a bulk message to RFC authors
soliciting updates for their version of a Who's Who.  When I asked why
their message was not unsolicited bulk mail or spam they said
that "the info request was sent to [me] and only [me]."

Golly gee.  Let me try to think if I've ever before received an
impersonal form letter that does not contain my name or anything that
distinguishes me from many other people, but that was supposedly sent
to me and only me.  Perhaps as part of a one time mailing that won't
be repeated unless I respond?  Maybe so that I can correct my biographical
information in a forthcoming Who's Who?

If they had told the truth and admitted that they did the equivalent of
grep'ing for addresses in their stock of RFCs, I would have been
content and perhaps flattered....well, maybe not flattered in view of
how long many years it's taken them to get around to my wonderful
Informationl RFC.  Instead, they chose to insult my intelligence.

Enclosed is a copy of their message so you can compare it to the
absolutely unique copy sent to you and only to you.

Perhaps competing with the genuinely authoritative RFC sources (including
the IETF's pages) is not generating enough traffic, and they're hoping
to tap the egos of RFC authors for word of mouth advertising.

Greetings,

I am the managing editor of the RFC Sourcebook, a quarterly published
periodical that focuses on the Request for Comments series of documents.

We are in the process of updating the contact and biographical
information in the Author section of our publication. Currently, we
provide the contact information from your latest RFC on your page. We
would like to provide more accurate information so that interested
readers can reach you.

Additional information on other books and articles that you have
authored and other biographical information you would like to provide to
us would be appreciated.

You are invited to review your page in the RFC Sourcebook at
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/. Just click "Authors" on the
navigation bar and page down to your entry.