Re: networksorcery.com spam

2001-07-22 21:00:03
At 07:20 PM 7/20/2001, Marshall T. Rose wrote:
hi. we're not talking about a "mail list" so the issue of "opt-in/out" is
meaningless.

the fact that addressees are derived incrementally, rather than causing a "mass" mailing strikes me as a minor point. The mass aspects of spam are irritating, but not what causes the bulk of public concern.

Spam is most typically defined as unsolicited commercial email. By that definition, the mailing in question qualifies. And it is entirely opt-out based, since the recipient has no choice about receiving the initial mailing.

there is only one thing that calling this "spam" achieves -- it reduces the
impact of the term "spam". when a word means all things, it means nothing.

for all that, I agree we need to be very careful about definitions and usage. In fact, one might wish to have codification?

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464