Re: networksorcery.com spam

2001-07-20 17:00:03
*Steps out on proverbial limb*

Under the current description that I have seen, this email is in fact SPAM
because you are not expecting it.

I personally did not receive this message, and have been on the IETF list
for awhile, without participating much.
Guess you could call me a lurker...

Here's my point, I don't know much about this guy, but what has happened
according to what I have seen is he is trying to compile a list (perhaps
to sell, perhaps to give away free) to the public, and more importantly
companies. He has sent out an email to everyone who has published or
participated in an RFC, most likely because he wants to ask permision to
publish their name to avoid any legal entanglements.

IMHO, a SPAM email is the typical 'loose hundreds of pounds now' or 'free
live teen girls stripping' type emails. Emails that come out of the blue
and honestly have no relevance. The other day I received an offer for free
pantyhose, and I'm a 19 year old male. I don't wear pantyhose, and don't
intend to start.

I guess my point is, from what it sounds like, this guy wasn't
intentionally spamming you, he was just trying to ask your permission or
give you a heads up on what's going on. Email him regarding the subjexct,
but don't bring it out onto the IETF list. worse than anything is the
amount of SPAM that gets sent to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org and some other mailing
lists I'm on where THE ENTIRE LIST is spammed.

I doubt this guy has sent out a REALLY LARGE email message to you with
pictures and stuff or attachments. But if this email message is such a
problem then why not post it to the list so we can get an idea of how bad
it is?

*Steps back to the shadows, engages anti-flame device, tables the whole
spamming issue*
 * TRAICOVN  ----------------------------------- http://www.traicovn.com *