Re: networksorcery.com spam

2001-07-20 16:00:02

Michael Mealling wrote:
        [..]
Nope. If you don't want to be contacted about the document you wrote/co-wrote
then don't put the contact info in there in the first place. What
is it there for if not to contact you about that document, regardless
of whether or not the contact is automated or not?

As an RFC author, I saw the same message Vern did, I replied to
it, and was otherwise untroubled. No problem. But your logic is
wrong.  We put our contact information in there so people can
ask questions about the technical work in the document. The
publishers of the document may additionally contact us to keep
their author information up to date (if they have the desire and
resources, which apparently they do not). However, it is *not*
a solicitation for any and all random organizations to contact
us on a regular basis to keep their own databases updated.

Although in this case I don't mind networksorcery keeping a
separate database, in general I only consider my 'publisher' to
have the implicit right to include me in automated "where are you
now?" emails.

cheers,
gja
Grenville Armitage                http://members.home.net/garmitage/