ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

2001-09-11 16:10:02
Hi,

First, all my sympathy to all the people who lost friends and relative
in the US.

Now, I think the ietf/istf has a role to play in this tragedy. The
Internet seems to be to a near halt from where I stand, the Pacific
Islands. I think the Internet has never seen so much overload on its US
section...

I remembered at an Inet meeting that some ietf people were working on
emergency packets over internet to carry message for emergency service
despite overloads... There are may be other similar work...

I think the ietf should gather information, see the problems happening
on the network, and create a workgroup to propose solutions, so that
such things do not ripple on the Internet.

In tokyo at Inet 2000 there were presentations showing how Japan/taiwan
built some emergency networks to inform people about survivors to
disasters/istf, and what has been destroyed etc... Check the proceedings
on the www.isoc.org site.

Finnally, I have no idea if there is a relation, but the Pacific Islands
have been experiencing for about a week now problems with many US sites
(cf archives of picisoc mailing list pignet www.spc.int/picisoc/)

I think the Internet community has a role to play here...

Cheers.
Franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org