Re: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-spnego-http-00.txt

2001-09-25 16:50:03
At 12:25 PM 9/25/2001, Stephen Casner wrote:
She thanked me for my suggestion, but seemed not to be interested in
my offer to supply the format checking program.

hmmm. would not be difficult to have a "submit this file as an I-D" web page, which would do the checking automatically and forward the file to the I-D czar. If it became popular, I suspect they would be glad to have it work from the I-D page.

I have a couple of questions regarding format policy:

  - Are unpaginated drafts acceptable?  I think they probably should
    be (and have been accepted in the past) because I-D's are supposed

Strongly agree.

    to serve for quick proposals as well as finished documents.  But
    if a draft does contain pagination, then it should be limited to
    58 lines as in the I-D guidelines and RFC 2223.

yes.

  - Is it accurate that I-D's and RFCs are supposed to contain only
    the US-ASCII (7-bit) character set?  Or are we supposed to allow
    for ISO-Latin-1 characters in people's names, etc.?  I thought I
    saw a document somewhere that answered this question (and said
    US-ASCII only), but RFC 2223 only says "The character codes are
    ASCII" which may not be specific enough.

There are many unprintable characters that are, nonetheless, US-ASCII. We probably need to be more precise about legal/illegal.

Equally, it is clear that the strongly international quality to the IETF requires permitting at least SOME encoding of non-ASCII. As you note, at least being able to encode a person's name properly would seem more than appropriate.

  The difficulty with
    allowing anything other than US-ASCII is that there is no place
    for a character set indication to go (this normally is placed in a
    MIME header, for example, and there is none on a plain text
    document).

Well, actually, we do have some techniques available, for inline encoding of brief strings. They are ugly, but they work.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464