Re: non-US-ASCII characters in IETF documents

2001-09-25 18:00:03
At 05:31 PM 9/25/2001, stanislav shalunov wrote:
The "proper" encoding of my name is óÔÁÎÉÓÌÁ× ûÁÌÕÎÏ× (in KOI8-R; the
Russian language has at least four character sets in active use).  Can
you read that?  I thought so.  That's why I write it in US-ASCII in
English-language documents (such as I-Ds).

Let me be more explicit about the ability to encode names.

Having an ASCII reprsentation is important, for the reason you demonstrate. This is merely the standard argument in favor of ASCII for IETF documents. That benefit is far too strong to challenge, nevermind change.

However, there is no harm -- and there is some benefit, if only as a matter of courtesy -- in permitting you to ADD a string that can be decoded to your native form.

The only issue is HOW.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464