Re: Splitting the IETF list

2001-11-19 09:00:02
At 09:29 AM 11/19/2001 +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Andy,

I don't see how this will help. The nonsense messages will still come,
from the usual sources, often copied to both lists, which will only
increase the level of annoyance.

IETF Last Call is a critical part of the Standards Process.
It's our last chance to do a cross-domain sanity check on
new technology, and give this input to the IESG, before
they decide to approve a standard or not.

These critical emails comprise less than 1 percent of
the traffic on the IETF list. (My unscientific survey says...)
I wouldn't characterize the other 99% as pure noise, maybe just 95%.

I know of several longtime IETFers who ignore this list because
of S/N ratio is so bad.  If there was a lastcall(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing
list,
more people might make Last Call comments.  People who
post off-topic messages will be shouted off the list and
if they keep doing it, they will be blocked from posting.

Andy

[Splitting the -announce list doesn't have this disadvantage.]

  Brian

Andy Bierman wrote:

Hi,

I would like the IESG to consider splitting this list into 2 lists.
One list for discussion of Last Call issues and another for
everything else (including minor stuff like splitting the
IETF-Announce or IETF lists :-)

thanks,
Andy