Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-27 07:30:02
Lloyd Wood wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
My point remains, a globally meaningful address is something that
should only be applied when it is useful for that endpoint to
be globally addressable.

I think we're lucky that this point was not applied to the design of
IP twenty-odd years ago. We'd then have a bunch of restricted gateways
that translate email - badly - no universal telnet, no universal ftp,
and certainly no web...

Actually, it *was* applied earlier (by default), and it was as a
result of the ensuing disconnects and general uselessness that
the Internet (a.k.a. Catenet) concept was developed  by Pouzin,
Cerf and Kahn. NAT has simply pushed us back to the pre-1978
situation. The references are in RFC 2775, section 2.3.

   Brian