Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-28 10:30:04
Eric,

First of all we are talking about several billion more addresses.

Second, you're correct, the NAT kludge has allowed us to delay
IPv6, i.e. simulate global connectivity some of the time. But
it is hardly a strategy for the next hundred years.

IPv6 was designed to help address aggregation, i.e. at least to
start from a point not worse than CIDR. But it was a conscious
choice not to try to invent a new routing model at the same
time. We know that. We have to solve that, *and* we need the
several billion addresses too.

  Brian

Eric Rosen wrote:

Brian> NAT has simply pushed us back to the pre-1978 situation.

On the contrary, NAT has  allowed us to maintain global connectivity without
requiring every system  to have a globally unique address.   NAT is what has
prevented us from returning to the pre-1978 situation.

That's not  to say  it wouldn't be  better to  have a million  more globally
unique addresses.  Sure  it would, unless that would  stress out the routing
system  unduly.  If  adding a  million more  globally unique  addresses will
stress out  the routing system, then  one might argue that  a solution which
provides the  addresses but doesn't  change the routing system  isn't really
deployable, and hence  doesn't really solve the addressing  problem. I think
this is the point  that Noel keeps trying to drive home,  and I'm not sure I
understand what the answer is supposed to be.