Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-27 12:40:02

"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
    >> Let me see if I understand this correctly ... your wife is behind a NAT
    >> (the receptionist) and it's causing a denial of service? :-)

    Keith> close.  the receptionist is an ALG.

  Application Layer Gateway. Yes. that precisely true.

  Caused by the lack of ability to address the phone in her lab directly.
  PBXs with extensions are just the application layer gateways that speak DTMF.

  The point is that: the phone certainly should *NOT* be held up as an
example of a system that functions well despite lack of end-node
identification. In fact, large amounts of money have been spent (and made,
which is the problem - it created new opportunities, which people want to
exploit. Ditto for NAT) on the problem.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[