Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-30 21:00:02
Noel,

At 02:36 PM 11/30/2001 -0500, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
**  > Most, if not all, of the same people who are refused IPv4 address
**  > allocations will (or should if we expect not to re-create the swamp) be
**  > refused allocations of IPv6 addresses.
Holy smoke! That's really major.

Huh? This really shouldn't (at this late date) be a surprise to anyone. RIRs allocate TLAs (or sub-TLAs) to "TLA Registries". TLAs are the only prefixes that are supposed to be in the "default free zone" routing tables. Ergo...

I hadn't realized the registries
were trying to guard against routing table bloat as well as address space
exhaustion. I'm curious, when did this start, and how was it decided?

Ever since the RIRs existed? See goal number 2 of section 1 of ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2050.txt or section 2.2.2 of http://www.arin.net/regserv/ipv6/IPv6.txt. As to how it was decided, my guess would be "by default".

Rgds,
-drc