Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-29 12:00:03
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>

    > forcing most of the internet into a tree structure has its own scaling
    > problems.

A tree structure is not at all needed. What is needed is more aggregation.
Please see the definitive mathematical analysis of routing scaling via
aggregation:

  Leonard Kleinrock and Farouk Kamoun, "Hierarchical Routing for Large
    Networks: Performance Evaluation and Optimization",
    Computer Networks 1 (1977), North-Holland Publishing Co., pp. 155-174.

which explains this all clearly.

    > the only benefit that IPv4 has over IPv6 (relative to routing table
    > size) is that IPv4 discourages growth of the Internet.

"Cazart!", as Hunter Thompson would say.

So perhaps what we really need, instead of IPv6, is something that looks less
like IPv4 (with a few fields made larger).

        Noel