RE: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-28 12:20:03

Look, either your fridge is accessible from outside so that you can check
how much milk you have from the office, or it isn't. That's independent
of whether its address happens to be NATted. It's dependent on the
security policy you choose to apply.

   Brian

So does that mean that if I take down my firewall (i.e. my security policy),
you'll be able to ping my servers whose addresses are NATted???

Let me propose a new question....

If there is a means for all hosts to have addresses that are reachable from
all other hosts (barring that a security policy is in place), will companies
renumber their internal networks to coincide with this addressing scheme?

If we (the Internet community) used private addresses and NAT for all hosts
that do not want/need/require access from the Internet, would the addressing
problem be as much of a problem as it appears to be?  If we are as generous
with the IPv6 addresses, how soon before we have the same address problem?

Charles