conformance != enforcement, Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-22 20:00:03

Randy Bush wrote:

Perhaps we all agree that standardization without some sort of conformance
verification is ineffective.

can you read this mail?  consider what it took to get it to you.  how did
that happen?

Randy:

Once upon a time when the Internet was something we discussed at the
campus cafeteria, I might have found your questions to be useful. Today,
when much of our economy and future is riding on Internet technology which
is put together with what amounts to be bail wire and chewing gum, I find your
questions to be still useful.  After all, if we had really thought hard about
those
questions then we would very probably be in a better position.

Laissez-faire conformance has not worked. Period. IMO, we need to realize that
conformance verification is a fundamental part of the standardization process
and provide ways for it to happen. Publicizing non-conforming implementations
in an RFC would be a way to shine light onto them.

Conformance  does not have to come with enforcement, though -- if that is your
fear.   Just make it clear and public.  As this very discussion is doing in
reference to
Microsoft and its broken implementation of MIME.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck