how to fail to solve a problem

2002-01-23 09:20:03
let's talk about the format of rfcs in this thread too, so we can bundle
the bad ideas we seem to discuss periodically every six months or so and
get them all out of the way quickly.  i think they should be in the new
microsoft mime format and a subsidiary organization should be chartered to
certify their compliance.

there are many ways to fail to solve a problem.  here are two:

1. have several people constantly proposing half-baked ideas and/or
   shooting down any new idea that crops up.

2. don't talk about it at all, because nothing useful will happen anyway.

Keith

p.s. OTOH it does seem foolish to try to make fundamental changes to IETF
by arguing on this mailing list.  the organization is very wary of change
of any sort, and rightly wary of half-baked ideas.  about the best you can
do with this list is to find folks who are willing to cooperate (in a less
public venue) to examine and develop the idea more fully.