Re: how to fail to solve a problem

2002-01-23 12:20:02

Keith Moore wrote:

p.s. OTOH it does seem foolish to try to make fundamental changes to IETF
by arguing on this mailing list.  the organization is very wary of change
of any sort, and rightly wary of half-baked ideas.  about the best you can
do with this list is to find folks who are willing to cooperate (in a less
public venue) to examine and develop the idea more fully.

I am a fan of half-baked ideas. I am a fan of post-optimization.  Get it close
the bull's eye and throw it out there. The ensuing discussion will refine it,
or kill it. Isn't that how  we pride ourselves in Internet development?

But we must also understand that this process does not always converge,
and does not always converge to a desired solution when other protocols
are taken into account.  So, a degree of oversight is needed -- and the
least intrusive oversight, I think, would be to make non-conformance public.
And, for that matter, non-interoperability. And, lack of security.

Now, of course, some still believe that making security flaws public is
a security flaw.  The "prove me wrong, go to jail" approach.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck