Yes, conformance testing required... Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-26 22:30:03

Kyle Lussier wrote:
        [..]
As I've mentioned, I absolutely, positively do not want
conformance testing, of any kind!
        [..]
What I am fundamentally looking for here is a procedure by which
there is a control mechanism for defining a vendor trying to
be interoperable (which is a huge consumer, customer, and vendor
benefit) vs. a vendor that is using taking standards and abusing
them in the marketplace.

Interoperable with what?

Interoperability testing occurs between implementations, and doesn't
require reference to a document or specification. Conformance testing
is, essentially, interoperability testing against an implementation
that has previously been declared standards-compliant - the reference
implementation.

Your process for yanking a logo requires a vendor's implementation to
fail an interoperability test against a known standards compliant
implementation. Anything less would make the logo meaningless. That
smells dangeoursly like conformance testing. And that's why you're
getting such push-back.

cheers,
gja