Why does Valdis trust UL?

2002-01-28 10:10:02
At 10:19 PM -0500 1/26/02, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

I have in my bedroom a night light, which I purchased at a local
grocery store.  It has a UL logo on it, which doesn't tell me much
about its suitability as a night light (I can't tell if it's bright
enough, or if it's too bright, or what its power consumption is),
but it *does* tell me 2 things:

1) It has been *tested* and found free of any known safety design problems.
It may not *work* as a night light, but it won't shock me when I go to
throw it in the trash can because it's not suitable.

2) A high enough percentage of night light manufacturers get UL listed
that I can afford to be suspicious of any company that doesn't have
the logo on their product.

Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. is a non-profit corporation that was founded in 1894. This <http://www.ul.com/about/otm/otmv3n2/labdata.htm>article describes the process UL uses for developing their standards. Many UL standards receive ANSI certification. According to the article, UL relies on information from a number of sources while developing a standard.

UL tests products submitted by its customers for *conformance* to its standards. UL's reputation depends on the rigor and independence of their testing. I don't know how it costs to submit a product for testing, but obtaining UL certification isn't free. UL's certification program is successful, because when consumers like Valdis (and me) see a UL label, they believe in its value. As Valdis points out, the value of the label has limits.

Certification isn't the work of a volunteer organization like the IETF. It could be the work of an organization like Underwriters Labs. This would be a good thing for Internet standards, imho.

One idea proposed multiple times in this meandering discussion is that those advocating testing should put up or shut up -- create a testing organization or move on to other topics. I concur with both those suggestions. I'm sure you'll all be pleased this is my last word on the topic.

best,
--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com