Re: Why does Valdis trust UL?

2002-01-31 11:40:02
Since interoperability on a one-to-many scale would be a problem,
perhaps approaching it from the many-to-one point of view would be
better.

Einar's ideas are good, but still difficult to implement. What happens
when a company fails to find every device it should be tested against?
It almost seems that what we need is the concept of a reference
platform.

Having a reference platform allows for a single point of contact for
everyone wanting "IETF Certification".

I would also suggest that the task of implementing such a platform
should be up to the WGs creating the standards or the companies
authoring the standard. This would also give you a group that could
administer the platform. Of course there would have to be some rules of
conduct so that nobody could be excluded from performing their
interoperability testing. (Do I smell a BOF here?) I'm sure groups
holding reference platforms could find some way to make money off of
this without breaking the rules.

I'm not saying this would be easy to implement, but it might be worth a
thought.