Re: Dynamic DNS at the 53rd IETF

2002-02-28 12:00:03
On 2/27/02 at 2:00 PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

I guess my question is how valuable this is. As far as I can tell, stable DNS names are of limited utility unless the underlying IP address(es) are also stable.

I can think of several uses:

1. I'm in a place with lousy or expensive connectivity; maybe I'm running an installation at the south pole. My connection to the outside world is to an ISP with a limited number of IP addresses that are allocated as people connect up. I run an SMTP server for multiple users. I have an MX for my machine that points to a machine at my ISP that is on the net full time. Every so often, I dial up, connect my server to the net and give it the correct domain name, send an ETRN to my MX server and have all the mail dumped to my server. Then I can disconnect and all of my internal users can connect up by POP or IMAP to my server.

2. I want to have an instant message session with you. Instead of all of this rendezvous protocol stuff we're doing now, I just give you a domain name. It doesn't matter where I connect from; my domain name is dynamically updated. You find me by querying my domain name.

And I assume there are lots of variants of the above. A widely deployed dynamic DNS makes a good deal of service location protocol unnecessary. Seems like a good thing to me.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102