Re: IETF 54 calendar

2002-05-29 09:01:03
At 11:03 AM 5/29/2002 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
 There is a strong
case for an informational document and presentation to try to
get rid of the confusion, but that doesn't need a meeting or a WG.

It is not clear what category of meeting is intended. Is it for education, BOF, or issue-resolving?

If the goal is education (presentation), why is a slot at the regular plenary not sufficient?

If the goal is a BOF, what questions will be put forward?

Certainly we do not have to worry about whether there is sufficient community interest in IPR. What we do not have a good sense of, perhaps, is what problems need to be resolved.

Given the complexity of the topic and how little expertise most attendees will have, it is not clear how productive discussion can be without our having questions proposed ahead of time, with some discussion first.

If the meeting gets the sort of large attendance being sought, "discussion" without significant history is likely to be quite unproductive.

If the goal is issue-resolving -- that is, equivalent to a working group meeting -- the requirements for discussion context is even more onerous than for a BOF.

Given the date today and the nearness of the IETF meeting, it makes quite a bit of sense to schedule presentations. It is hard to imagine that there will be enough context developed by the time of the meeting to have productive discussion.

So if productive discussion, rather than mass presentation, is the goal, can someone explain how it can possibly be achieved under the current circumstances?

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave(_at_)tribalwise(_dot_)com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850