Re: IPR at IETF 54

2002-05-29 18:16:42
On 5/29/02 at 3:35 PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

sure is a lot of interest in this subject from diverse folk. maybe we should hold a wg/bof meeting on friday in yokohama to discuss it.

Oooo.....that's a good idea. While we're on topics which generate "a lot of interest from diverse folk", let's have a WG/BOF meeting on Friday in Yokohama to discuss the format of RFCs, and one more to talk about conformance testing. We could even have one to decide what top-level domain names we need, if you like.

Look, as I've said now multiple times, I think it's peachy to have a session if we have something to discuss (where "discuss" is defined as "participants interacting verbally"). However, I'm not convinced by anything said so far that we do. So far I have gleaned that perhaps there will be some expert who will explain to us what we need to know. That can be done as a 0.5-1.0 hour presentation on IESG plenary night, or better yet can be written up as an I-D. If the latter, and there is *fruitful* discussion of the draft (where "fruitful" is defined as "could benefit from high-bandwidth interaction"), then its time to go ahead with a WG/BOF on the topic. But the discussion so far on this list does not seem ripe enough to warrant one. And overall I'm pretty darn sick and tired of wasting my time in WG/BOF sessions where all I get is a series of undiscussed presentations that could have been done in I-Ds which I could have read before the meeting.
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated