Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

2002-07-25 14:29:52
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:01:45 EDT, "Clark C . Evans" said:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:31:11PM -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:

| That's not a solid foundation for uniqueness.  There are multiple DNS
| spaces in use.  One is almost completely dominant, but others do exist.

It's good enough.

OK... why do we want to datestamp it in case it changes owners, but
it's "good enough" to discard the existence of alternate DNS roots?

Remember to discuss what semantics  you wish to assign that would make
the different  1997 and 2001 values of 'wwww.foobar.com' important to
distinguish (given that quite possibly *both* values are no longer valid
in the DNS) but you don't care about disambiguating two syntactically
identical names that *are* valid in different namespaces.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer