Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 15:39:31

Perry,

I believe that you are right.  Due to spam, the usefulness of
traditional email is starting to tend towards zero.  It's really too bad,
because email was really very useful, but we live in the real world.
It is time, perhaps past time, to engage this issue technically as well
as politically.  None of us will like the solutions particularly well,
but we can expect that if we do nothing, email will become completely
useless.

The solution will probably involve some centralization of email
service, whether via ISPs or via corporate or campus mailers or via
pay-for-service mailers or via ... .  It will result in modest
decreases in network efficiency for email (more round trips) and
probably significantly increased protocol and management complexity.
It may lead some to wonder whether a free Internet is really a totally
good idea.

Perhaps someone should convene a BOF on the subject at the next IETF,
to get the project started.

Bob Braden