Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 20:39:10

on 8/13/2002 9:20 PM Christian Huitema wrote:

The other approach is technical. As Bob Braden says, this is what the
IETF does, so that what we should look at.

But the canonical problem is social, not technical. The symptoms we all
know about and are eager to treat (me included) aren't the real problem.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be exploring technical solutions to
some of the symptomatic problems (forgery sucks regardless of whether its
spam, worms, outright fraud, or anything else). What it means is that the
problem won't go away until the root social problem is fixed.

BTW, the reason the WA state law is ineffective is because it isn't widely
enforced. National laws would have much more effect. A few ambulance
chasers filing class-action lawsuits that spanned all jurisdictions would
stop it faster than any imaginable technical solution.