Re[2]: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-16 09:09:18
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:42:55 -0700 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
The Hello Banner proposal is interesting, in that you can stop it at
some
previous hop - the spam I get through ISI could, for example, be stopped
at
ISI. But it will always be the computer that receives my SMTP Hello
Banner,
which will only be the originator in cases where the originator sends
the
message directly to me. That is true for some spam, but by no means all.

actually, it could play out this way -- bulk emailers would be periodically
required to clean lists by connecting to the lowest numbered MX host for a
given domain, and looking at the banner.

this works for most cases, and the only hitch i can think of is that some
set up their lowest numbered MX host inside their security parameter and
force external deliveries to higher numbered MX hosts. i'm not sure that
the proposal needs to be compromised to make allowances for folks engaged
in such questionable engineering practices.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty(_at_)averillpark(_dot_)net