Re: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-16 11:49:23
stanislav shalunov wrote:

Further, in its *present* form, where unfamiliar words are given 0.2
spam probability, easily defeated by just adding a lot of randomly
generated `words' like 9nscS9Ft, iuiF0kKw, 6AycPEbU, nsUdjGeP, etc.
Given enough of these, the Bayesian probability formula will declare
even a piece of mail that consists of a sales pitch for a pornographic
web site have a probability of being spam that is arbitrarily close to
0.2.
Is that true? The approach described looks only at the 15 words furthest from 0.5; it seems likely that most messages that would rank at 0.9 or above would have enough spam-words that words at 0.2 wouldn't show up.

One thing that would be necessary, and that the author doesn't mention, would be to decode content-encodings before applying the filter; otherwise spammers could just base64 all their messages.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centivinc(_dot_)com                    |