Re: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-16 08:53:23
From: "Brian Bisaillon"
<Brian(_dot_)Bisaillon(_at_)mbs(_dot_)gov(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca>

I don't see how filtering messages helps with bandwidth issues
associated with spam. You still have to receive spam before you
can filter it out and this is what uses up bandwidth. Spam needs
to be stopped at the source before it even enters a receiving
network. ...

Have you computed how much bandwidth spam actually consumes?  Is your
situation one in which all SMTP email uses significant bandwidth?
As I understand things, it has been years since the bandwidth required
to receive and discard spam or all email was significant except in
unusual situations.  Computers and networks where HTTP is not used
and that pay by the bit can feel real pain from spam.  However, others
might benefit more by somehow increasing the MSS used for their HTTP
traffic from 512 to 1460, thereby saving about 80/1460 or 5% of their
gross bandwidth.