Re: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-16 14:23:16
stanislav shalunov wrote:

One can imagine 1000 sets of decoy words for different categories of
people, with each message sent by the spammer in 1000 copies (so, you
might get it in 0 copies if you're very unusual -- or in 50 copies if
you discuss fishing, computer networking, investing, travel, and such
other categories in email regularly and the spammer has decoy lists
for fishing, etc.).
Mmm, but that pours gasoline on the villagers' torches. It'd be much more clearly a crime, since it's so obviously an attempt to evade the recipient's filters. Sending me one message customized to get through can masquerade as free expression; sending me 1000 is a dictionary attack on my security. At that point, spammers will start going to jail.

If Javascript
works in the recipient's MUA, then you have
...an idiotic MUA. (Yeah, I know I'm using one that supports it; but it's turned off.)

|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centivinc(_dot_)com                        |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centivinc.com                      |
|Centiv            |My opinions are my own.                       |
|Vote for Ron, and nobody gets hurt! --actual campaign poster from|
|Chicago                                                          |