Re: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: AXFR clarify

2002-12-23 09:08:27
Thus spake <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu>:
On the other hand, if Olafur is in fact making a living doing BIND9
development and coding for ISC or one of their clients, that might be
called a "conflict of interest" when the issue at hand is that a specific
document is "too BIND9 specific".

Personally, I'm OK with Olafur making money doing BIND.  I'm even
OK on him possibly making more if the draft becomes an RFC in its
current state.  I admit I've looked through RFC2026 and found
nothing about disclosure of conflict of interest(*).

That Olafur has been paid for BIND work is obviously public knowledge, so no
disclosure is necessary.  Most, if not all, IETF and IESG members have some
conflict of interest due to past, present, or future employers. Thus, the
question at hand is if this disqualifies the IESG from making decisions
they've been tasked with making.  Pragmatically, how are we to find
competent people who _aren't_ tainted in some way?

IETF tradition (policy?) is that members are individuals and not
representatives of their employers; IMHO that implies that we are to trust
the professionalism of our members -- and especially the IESG -- to act in
the interests of the Internet community.