Re: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: AXFR clarify

2002-12-24 11:45:55
-----Original Message-----
From: Lloyd Wood <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
Date: 23 December 2002 19:25
Subject: Re: DNSEXT WGLC Summary: AXFR clarify

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Thursday 19 December 2002, at 10 h 3,
Rick Wesson <wessorh(_at_)ar(_dot_)com> wrote:

I like that we have individuals at the ietf meetings rather than
company
representatives,

IETF participation allegedly does not require meeting attendance,
although keeping up without attending is increasingly hard.

<snip>
Now there's a contentious statement.  I see quite the opposite that
while meetings used to be where it happened, now, with near universal
and continuous e-mail (and http, ftp etc), most work gets done when
not at a meeting.  Or by going to a meeting, opening up the (company?)
laptop and spending most of the time busy typing away, regardless of
what session you are sitting in.

Don't get me wrong; face-to-face meetings are potentially the fastest
way to move our work forward but this model seems to have been
abandoned in favour of communing with a laptop (That much
of many of the sessions at meetings consists of a recital of the
status of IDs with little or no interaction between participants could
be a factor in this).

So why leave the company office?  You are probably most productive
sitting there in comfort.

Tom Petch
nwnetworks(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com