RE: Last Call: CR-LDP Extensions for ASON to Informational

2003-01-24 01:06:59
Hi Jerry,

I'm not sure how long you've followed the entire GMPLS and ASON work, but I'm
assuming here that you weren't part of the original discussions over the last
1.5 to 2 years on this matter. That's understandable as this wasn't your
original area of interest.

However, if you talk with some folks involved since the beginning, you would
realize (and also reading Steve's email on the history, or simply going back to
the email archives in both MPLS and CCAMP) that
(a) ITU-T tried to get the work done in IETF (I believe Steve mentioned Oct.
21, 2001)
(b) IETF never actually started/initiated work to fill these gaps. So a set of
individuals who happens to attend IETF, OIF and ITU decided that they would
work towards a solution
(c) This solution was submitted into IETF, OIF, and ITU -- with clear intention
of trying to get feedback from the "true" RSVP experts
(d) I (and Bala) created I-Ds in IETF (Bala actually started this I think
sometime in early 2002? -- Bala you can confirm or correct -- while I submitted
my I-D in June 2002)
(e) These documents were never taken seriously (This is the first email I sent:
http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp/ccamp.2002/msg00918.html -- but of course no
one responded)
(f) ITU-T requests which were publicly presented in CCAMP meetings by Wesam and
Steve (see Steve's email to see how many requests were made) were never taken
seriously

The ITU-T delayed their process by several months in order for RSVP experts (I
guess Bob Braden would call folks who's done this work "non-RSVP experts") to
review. Of course no comments were ever provided by the "true" RSVP experts.

Several individuals tried very hard to try and get a good relationship and
collaboration going amongst the three organizations. The break-down is not for
lack of trying or exposing the work to the RSVP experts.

As such, although I agree that the original intent of all the individuals who
came into this work expecting to collaborate and do the work in IETF CCAMP WG,
the actual situation is very much different, and is a result of certain members
of the CCAMP WG community deciding not to bother with paying attention to the
work. Again I can understand the perception that you get since you weren't
involved from the beginning. But a casual perusal of the email archives (too
much work for me, if you're interested you should take a look at the history
first) would give you a much better and accurate history of the discussions
(see http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp for the CCAMP email archive, and
http://cell.onecall.net/cell-relay/archives/mpls/mpls.index.html for the MPLS
email archive).

Thanks