Re: axfr-clarify breaking RFC 1034

2003-02-19 12:07:30
Robert Elz writes:
If you have a proposal for some method to actually cause the parent/child
delegation to *always* be compatible (glue in parent matches records in
child, always), then please don't keep it a secret

Read about timestamps in http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/tinydns-data.html. It's
not my fault that BIND can't handle this trivial synchronization.

If you're trying to say that the RFC 1034 requirement should be loosened
to allow semi-synchronized changes (parent zone is changed after all the
child servers have changed), go ahead and make that proposal in DNSEXT,
and we'll discuss it. But don't try to sneak it past us as part of an
``AXFR clarification.''

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago