Warning about the use of abusive language

2003-02-20 02:03:45
Mr. Bernstein,

--On torsdag, februar 20, 2003 00:07:52 +0000 "D. J. Bernstein" <djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to> wrote:

What we have here is much worse: a thoroughly dishonest attempt to slip
the latter modification past us as part of an ``AXFR clarification.''
Anyone with a shred of integrity should be opposing this fraud.

The charter for the IETF list (RFC 3005, also visible at http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html) includes the sentence

 Inappropriate postings include:

   - Unsolicited bulk e-mail
   - Discussion of subjects unrelated to IETF policy, meetings,
     activities, or technical concerns
   - Unprofessional commentary, regardless of the general subject
   - Announcements of conferences, events, or activities that are not
     sponsored or endorsed by the Internet Society or IETF.

  The IETF Chair, the IETF Executive Director, or a sergeant-at-arms
  appointed by the Chair is empowered to restrict posting by a person,
  or of a thread, when the content is inappropriate and represents a
  pattern of abuse.

Accusations of "dishonesty" and "fraud" in a technical discussion are normally considered "unprofessional".

I would also want to direct your attention to RFC 3184, "IETF Guidelines for Conduct", which states, among other things:

  2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
     finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.

     We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
     intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
     IETF-like way:

           "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

Note to list: The normal procedure when dealing with unprofessional conduct on mailing lists includes a private warning. But since mr. Bernstein has chosen not to accept mail from me without asking me to engage in some arcane ritual of admission, I have chosen to skip this step in this case.

                       Harald Alvestrand