Re: axfr-clarify breaking RFC 1034

2003-02-19 19:32:20

Mark(_dot_)Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org writes:
Semi-synchronized changes have always been part of the DNS.

If there's an honest proposal to modify the DNS specifications to allow
semi-synchronized changes (once again: parent zone being changed after
all the child servers have changed), perhaps the discussion will reveal
that those changes work with BIND 4, BIND 8, djbdns, etc.; that those
changes are useful; and that nobody objects to this modification.

On the other hand, if there's an honest proposal to modify the DNS
specifications to allow _unsychronized_ changes (such as your asinine
configuration examples), the discussion will reveal that those changes
do _not_ work with the majority of DNS servers on the Internet, that
those changes are _not_ useful, and that the modification is a bad idea.

What we have here is much worse: a thoroughly dishonest attempt to slip
the latter modification past us as part of an ``AXFR clarification.''
Anyone with a shred of integrity should be opposing this fraud.

        If you want synchronized changes in the parent and child
        zones you need to write up a draft to explain how to do it.
        The current DNS does not have this capability.

        I would suggest that you will need to add inception and
        expiration times as meta data for each RR.

        I will be happy to review the draft when you make it available.

        Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET:
Mark(_dot_)Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org