RE: Network Working Group

2003-03-10 14:16:12
Perhaps with a pointer to where the archived discussions of the working
group might be found?

[Yes, I know that archives are ephemeral.  But surely we could get
archive.org or someone to change that?]

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Shahram Davari wrote:

I totally support your suggestion. I think it is best if
the RFCs mention the specific name of the WG that created them
instead.

-Shahram

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker [mailto:fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 3:17 PM
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Network Working Group

From your draft IESG Charter:

Network Working Group

40 years ago a group of researchers was funded by DARPA to study
packet-based communications, one part of which was the Network Working
Group. Part of this group has since become the IRTF's End2End Research
Group, and the rest of the functions have devolved on the IAB
and the IETF.
The Network Working Group, as such, has not been functional
for nearly 20
years.

I personally would like to see us stop attributing documents
to them.  The
world has long since moved on, and those who don't recognize it date
themselves.

--
                Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin(_at_)law(_dot_)tm