Re: Barrel-bottom scraping

2003-03-20 08:08:58

"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <brian(_at_)hursley(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
writes:
    Brian> the INET conference with tutorials. But our experience of INETs
    Brian> for the last few years has been quite negative financially, which
    Brian> is why there is no INET 2003. So even this approach may not be as
    Brian> easy as we might think. However, I think doing some ISOC/IETF joint
    Brian> tutorials just before an IETF is definitely worth a try.

  As far as I understand, the conferences that offer tutorials do so
with the conference because the people attending are the ones that are
targetted. Since many conferences are more of the "we watch/they talk"
variety, the tutorials are often have are well received. I.e. the people
came to *learn* things.

  For this to work at IETF, the question is: would *WE* (as individuals) be
willing to pay extra for a tutorial on something we don't know about.

  I think that there is significant value in having people from, for
instance, the routing world learn about IPP, or vv. This kind of organized
cross-fertilization is probably very valuable. Jeff Schiller has been doing
security talks for some time now on Sundays.

  The question is - would they make any money.
  If others find it

  I would personally likely *not* pay. Maybe. Depends upon the price.

  So, I'd rather pay the $70/each and spend the time doing something else
(like making code interop!).

  On the expense side, I find it interesting that the lack of attendance is
now hurting us. Some years ago, we were debating how to deal with 3000+
attendees. I guess I'm glad we banked some of that money.

  My question is: is 1600 an awkward number? (not a sweet spot)
  Do we need to be in a bigger hotel than, for instance, if we were at 800,
but do not make full use of the facilities? (I think not, but what are the
parameters here?)

  In general, I dislike "5-star" hotels - I find them cold and way too
nose-in-the-air. Comfortable, sure. But, I'm happier in less expensive
hotels. But those ones do not have the conference space.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[