Re: Barrel-bottom scraping

2003-03-20 08:08:57
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Phil Hallam-Baker just suggested in the plenary that we could
easily raise funds by going round looking for sponsorship
from industry, $10k and $10k there.

This ignores that this is *exactly* where ISOC's funds come
from, and those funds are largely used to support the IETF
(specifically the RFC Editor, plus a few smaller expenses that
would otherwise fall on the Secretariat budget).

Also, why should any company pay another $10k when they already give
employees to work on IETF standards during office hours?

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email:
henk(_dot_)uijterwaal(_at_)ripe(_dot_)net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)