Re: Barrel-bottom scraping

2003-03-23 20:34:32
John,

JAL> Aren't we being a bit holery-than-though?  Are we suggesting that we are
JAL> superior than tourists, marketers, mangagers?

of course.

but separate from the possibility of ethnocentric arrogance is the
reality of distraction. to the extent that such participation makes it
difficult for us to get our engineering work done, those other folks
are a problem.

(my own opinion is that their presence is fine, as long as we do not
distort our agendas and schedules to accomodate them.  constantly
doing mini-tutorials and presentations during extremely scarce meeting
time might be an example of that.)

JAL> I think that ISOC/IETF tutorials could be a very good idea.

As an idea unto itself, it does sound appealing. As you note, there is
benefit is spreading the IETF technical word beyond ourselves but by
ourselves.

As a means of trying to fix basic IETF financials, it means that we
would be relying on a new business venture that is a) unproven for the
IETF to do, and b) entirely unrelated to the core work of producing
specifications.  As such it is a distraction.

Organizations often lose focus in this way.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>