Tutorials

2003-03-23 12:10:25

Hello Randy,

Since they would be taught by IETF engineers, probably for
not all that much money, it seems a bit onerous to ask the
benefactors to do more travel so that they carry out a difficult
task mostly for the benefit of the IETF.

Someone else pointed out that tutorials don't automatically
make money.  This is very true.  In order to succeed, the tutorials
would have to be publicized well, and taught by instructors who
can relate to an audience of less-informed but interested people.

I understand the desire to maintain a high level of technical
competence at IETF meetings, but I am pretty sure that does
not preclude raising the general level of awareness of the
"great unwashed".   Perhaps just the opposite, in fact.

Regards,
Charlie P.

PS. I wouldn't suggest asking people to teach the tutorials
      for free.  It's amazing how much better it feels to get some
      money for the effort, even if the sponsoring organization is
      getting most of the financial benefit.  Maybe instructors
      could get a plaid sticker for their badges :-)

Randy Bush wrote:

I think that ISOC/IETF tutorials could be a very good idea.  It would at
least give us the opportunity to brain-wash others for the things which
we believe.

yup.  but, as one would want them done by the well clued and best
speakers, it would be nice if they were not too close to ietf
meetings.

randy