Re: Eating our own Dog Food...could the IAB and IESG use SIP for conference calls

2003-03-25 09:31:56
Richard Shockey <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us> wrote:
Like many of us I was moved my Harald's appeal for suggestions for
helping to cut down costs in the IETF.

I certainly endorse the idea of considering Canada or Mexico as
possible sites for future IETF meetings, but I suspect that the
weekly teleconferece calls that the IAB and IESG have represent a
significant line item for the Secretariat.

In case anyone has not heard, SIP is quite capable of handling this
type of task and there are a variety of commercial as well as open
source Client User Agents as well as commercial products and services
that could help reduce this cost.

I'm sure the SIP working group could help the Secretariat identify
products and services that could make this essential function more
productive and operate at less cost.

Bill Woodock of Packet Clearing House <woody(_at_)pch(_dot_)net> has set up a
SIP network
where you dial an ASN (and optionally an extension) that will ring various NOCs.
Currently they are using Cisco phones, but there is no reason why software SIP
based phones shouldn't work as well.

http://www.pch.net/inoc-dba/

~-~
INTER-NOC HOTLINE PHONE SYSTEM
Packet Clearing House operates the Inter-Network Operations Center Dial-By-ASN
(INOC-DBA) hotline phone system, a global voice telephony network that connects
the network operations centers and security incident response teams of critical
Internet infrastructure providers such as backbone carriers, Internet service
providers, and Internet exchanges as well as critical individuals within the
policy, regulatory, Internet governance, security and vendor communities. The
INOC-DBA is a closed system, ensuring secure and authenticated communications,
and uses a combination of highly redundant directory services and direct
peer-to-peer communications between stations to create a resilient,
high-survivability network. It carries both routine operational traffic and
emergency-response traffic.
~-~

It may make sense to have the IESG members to have access to this emergency
network in general, besides for its use in IESG business.

I don't believe at this point that they have conferencing services available,
only point-to-point calls, but I'm fairly certain from some discussions that
I've had with some SIP conferencing tool vendors that we should be able to get
them to donate those services as well. We might even be able to get Cisco to
donate some phones.

-- Christopher Allen

.. Christopher Allen                            Alacrity Management ..
.. <ChristopherA at AlacrityManagement.com>   1563 Solano Ave. #353 ..
.. o510/649-4030  f510/649-4034                  Berkeley, CA 94707 ..