NAT traversal....????....Re: [Sip] Eating our own Dog Food...could the IAB and IESG use SIP for conference calls

2003-03-25 13:17:51
NAT traversal....????

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/select/1098/int.html
NATs are a no-no
HEATH: I was going to say that IEEE Spectrum should make it very clear that
this group's consensus would appear to be: let's
discourage NATs--I mean the manufacture of them at all--because there is a real
need for IPv6.

HUITEMA: It's more than that. There is a real need for security and you can't
have security with NATs.

CERF: NAT is a guaranteed spoofing box in effect.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Freedman" <dan(_at_)fsa(_dot_)ca>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <sip(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 9:43 AM
Subject: RE: [Sip] Eating our own Dog Food...could the IAB and IESG use SIP for
conference calls

Agreed. To enable access from behind firewalls (ie: homes, hotels,
conferences, airports, Asia, ...), we can donate a B2BUA-based NAT traversal
solution for SIP (same one that Pulver's Free World Dialup uses). It sits
near the proxy, with nothing needed on the client end.

Bottom line: In addition to helping the IESG and IAB, it will help SIP to
have more IETF participants gaining experience with it.

  -Dan

Dan Freedman, CEO, Jasomi Networks, Inc.
2033 Gateway Place, Suite 500, San Jose, CA, 95110
Phone   +1.403.680.2351
Fax     +1.403.269.2993
Email   dan(_at_)jasomi(_dot_)com
SIP     dan(_at_)jasomi(_dot_)com