Re: [Sip] Eating our own Dog Food...could the IAB and IESG use SIP for conference calls

2003-03-25 12:16:01
Thanks for the idea!
injecting a slight dash of cold water....

- the actual cost of "Teleconferences and Long Distance charges" in 2002 were USD 82.210 (unaudited) (vs 54.400 for 2001). A significant fraction of that, but far from all, is the IESG teleconferences. - we've already switched teleconference providers once to reduce costs, going from call-everyone to most-people-call-in. - the costliest part of the IESG teleconferences has been the callout: international participants (last year, France, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden when they are at home, hotels literally anywhere in the world when they are travelling) are called rather than calling in. You don't want to discuss with your boss why you had to make a 2 1/2 hour international call at hotel room rates if you can avoid it...... - it's absolutely essential that one be able to participate in the IESG telecon from just about anything that one can dial from - we've had participants on cellphones from trains, in airport lounges, hotel rooms and other places. So SIP-only won't work for some time yet. - even at work, several of us have problems with firewalls; about half the IESG uses Jabber during sessions - the reason many of the others don't is that they can't get Jabber through their corporate firewalls. So "pure Internet SIP" won't work for all of us any time soon.

So I think this is a good idea, PROVIDED THAT:

- The SIP teleconference bridge provider is able to provide either 800-number access or callout services to normal telephones in most corners of the world - The voice quality, operator quality and call stability is competitive (yes, we've got the "there's an echo on this conference - can you figure out who is echoing and fix it" request down to a matter of routine)

A "normal" teleconference provider that *also* allows SIP dialin over the Internet would probably be perfect. If you have one - send email to me - PRIVATELY - and I will forward to the relevant parties at the secretariat.

              Harald