Re: Internet Draft Guidelines Require Precise Formatting?

2003-04-18 06:24:16
Dear Sabahattin,

Please let me add that the "mandated" guidelines do not seem to
be tightly enforced - I think things are improving, but I
remember having to reformat a LOT of internet-drafts over the
past few years so they would print on 8.5x11 paper with
fixed-width fonts. Probably the most frequent problem I
encountered was IDs that had obviously been done with multiple
font sizes, because there was no "right" size that lined up all
page breaks.

"Require Precise Formatting" seems an overstatement. Do your
best and don't worry about imperfect formatting. Imperfect
technical details are a lot more interesting!

I don't speak for the community, but I think if you used the XML
package mentioned in this thread, you'd be FINE, and probably
ahead of more than a few other drafts being submitted!

The case for tight enforcement on IDs would make more sense if
00-version IDs became RFCs with little editing, but that doesn't
seem to be the common case. If people like your ideas, you
shouldn't have any problem getting help with exact formatting of
later revisions.

Spencer

--- Sabahattin Gucukoglu <mail(_at_)sabahattin-gucukoglu(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi all,

I at some point in the (near, hopefully) future wish to submit
an internet
draft - STRN, ESMTP extension for secure client-server role
exchange - but
notice that the guidelines set out in 1id-guidelines.txt
appear to mandate
certain formatting requirements.

[deleted down to]

B) I am totally blind, so the process of formatting the
document -
especially in plain text - is going to prove very difficult.
Are there
other provisions that I might take advantage of that would
solve this
problem?

Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,