Re: A simple question

2003-04-19 15:21:25
Thus spake "Robert Elz" <kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU>
Is not true for site locals, as no-one anticpiates that a SL address is
all an enterprise will be using (unless it is not connected to the
internet, in which case questions of its flexibility of access don't
arise).

For internet access, a global address is used.   Sites (and hosts) have
both.

I had always planned on using only SL addresses within the enterprise, and
then NATing those SLs to public addresses at the ISP.  That way, none of the
enterprise network is polluted with (frequently changing) global
addresses -- just like common IPv4 practice today.

To assign more than one address to every host means the host must have an
intelligent means of deciding which address to use.  I don't trust the hosts
(either OS or the user) with that decision any more than I trust them with
QOS.